Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Rest of Week 6 Predictions

Rest of Week 6 Predictions:

(Note: I have a feeling I'm getting too confident in my predictions, but I think my predictions seem to have a bigger effect on the outcome than the outcome on my predictions.)

Carolina Cobras vs Philadelphia Masterminds
Jan Ehlvest makes his debut in the US Chess League this week after much anticipation enabling Philly to send out by far their strongest lineup this season. The undefeated Boston got lucky by getting out both matchups against Philly out of the way in the first half of the season, however what Ehlvest really brings to the team is enabling them to put strong players on the lower boards and have a 2400+ lineup (because Ehlvest only counts as 2590 for the team despite his 2665 rating). However, I wouldn't rule Milman out this week entirely on board 1, he's a tough fighter and is probably looking to improve his results, particularly when he's getting the white pieces this week. With Philly's solid players below I have to give them the nod this week even with Zaikov back in the lineup.
Philly over Carolina 2.5-1.5

Boston Blitz vs Baltimore Kingfishers
Boston has the only perfect score (but not the only undefeated score) left in the league, but Baltimore is certainly looking to end this claim altogether this week sending out a power-punched lineup unlike the ridiculous thing the sent out last week. Christiansen likely has the nod over Blehm this week, but there are many close matchups. I think the problem for the Blitz might be their board 4 star this year Krasik is running into WGM Rohonyan who while being only rated 2260 USCF holds a fide of 2354. I think it'll be a tough match this week, but I give a slight edge to Baltimore. Maybe I'll just prove that I didn't do my sanity check before making this move.
Baltimore over Boston 2.5-1.5

Tennessee Tempo vs Dallas Destiny
Dallas holds the honor of being the only team to give up any match points to Tennessee, however I don't think they're quite ready to repeat this feat. I would give Dallas a slight edge on boards 1 and 3 and a big edge on board 2, board 3 is a tossup, but at the same time Tennessee is becoming famous for their collapses. Dallas isn't sending out their strongest lineup this week, but it still should be plenty to win.
Dallas over Tennessee 3-1

Seattle Sluggers vs Miami Sharks
Seattle suffered their first loss of the season last Monday after various close calls, thsi week they go up against a cruising Miami team that hasn't lost in 3 weeks. There are relatively tight matchups on all 5 boards of this match, but I have a feeling Ballard did more to create some unwanted looseness in his team than fight by blaming the internet connection (regardless of its responsibility) for the failures during the match. However, both teams are sending out strong lineups this week and I think the "events" will balance themselves out.
Seattle TIES Miami 2-2

Summary:
SF over NY 2.5-1.5
Phi over Car 2.5-1.5
Bal over Bos 2.5-1.5
Dal over Tenn 3-1
Sea tie Mia 2-2

No comments: