Sunday, September 17, 2006

US Chess League Week 4 Predictions

The link above links to this weeks lineups. So here are my predictions:

Miami Sharks vs. Baltimore Kingfishers:
The Monday night matchup this week features a rematch of last year's championshp. Miami has the rating edge and the white pieces on boards 1 and 3 which should promise a solid result there and on boards 2 and 4 things are less clear. Probably Baltimore is favored on board 4, but I think things will be much closer on board 3. I think Miami definitely has the edge this week looking to make up for their slow start.
Prediction: Miami wins 2.5-1.5

Seattle Sluggers vs. Tennessee Tempo
This is a rematch of the week one route where Tennessee never seemed to get out of the starting block. I think Seattle once again has a big edge this week, but I think Tennessee is going to make a much better showing with reasonably competative matchups on all 4 boards.
Seattle wins 2.5-1.5

Dallas Destiny vs San Francisco
Another rematch of a week one division rivalry matchup. Dallas is sending out a strong lineup hoping to make up ground from their slow start. IM Friedel has the honor of taking on the black pieces on board 1 for the 3rd week in a row, but I think I will ignore rating and go with my completely unbiased opinion that San Francisco is untouchable. In fact, I think this match could certainly get ugly and San Francisco is capable of scoring on all boards.
San Francisco wins 3-1

Boston Blitz vs Philadelphia Masterminds
Perelshteyn heads a strong Boston lineup this week, but I think Philly will be surprisingly competative this week. I've been quite impressed by the play of quite a few of their players so far in the league. I'm also wondering if their first board this week was brought up as a Perelshteyn stopper. Either way, I think Boston is looking strong and I think they're favored in this match.
Boston wins 2.5-1.5

Carolina Cobras vs New York Knights
I'm going to call this the matchup of the week. Carolina coming off their first win after a slow start, New York Knights probably fuming after their crushing loss to division and classic rivals in the Boston Blitz. Unfortunatley for New York Carolina gets to grab white in the two closest matchups of the week. I'm predicting a 2.5-1.5 victory for Carolina.
Carolina wins 2.5-1.5

Overview
Mia over Bal 2.5-1.5
Sea over Tenn 2.5-1.5
SF over Dal 3-1
Bos over Phi 2.5-1.5
Car over NY 2.5-1.5

No comments: